Hello from Katherine, Miss Durham Region World 2017!
I am absolutely thrilled to be starting this blog and introducing myself to you as the newly (well…since January…I’m a bit late) crowned Miss Durham Region World 2017!
The first thing you should know is that although my name is Katherine, I will mostly be going by Katie. I mean, I totally look more like a Katie, don’t you think?
The Miss World Ontario pageant was actually my FIRST. PAGEANT. EVER. And let me tell you, it was the most exciting, terrifying, fun, nerve-racking experience of my life. A pageant is so more more than I had ever imagined. It’s a lot harder and a lot more work than I thought. But it’s also been A LOT of fun, and I met some AMAZING girls, and I honestly can’t wait to do it all again in July for Miss World Canada!
I was absolutely in awe when my name was announced on stage that night, and I found out I had won a title and would be competing for the national title. At first I didn’t believe it! A shy girl from Oshawa, now on her way to compete for the unbelievable opportunity to represent ALL of Canada?! *explosion* MIND. BLOWN.
It’s an absolute honor to have been chosen to represent the Durham Region and all of its diversity and vibrancy that is so often overlooked.
I can’t wait to tell you more about myself and my pageant journey! Leave a comment and tell me about yourself! You can find out a bit more about me below 🙂
Katie, Miss Durham Region World 2017
I spent the last 4 years of my life studying Health Sciences at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology #shoutout and graduated with my BHSc with Highest Distinction last Thursday!
I will be going back in September to embark on the new journey I hope my Master’s will bring! My ultimate goal is to go to Medical school and study to become a pediatrician! I have always loved working with children and youth, and as you’ll soon discover, I have a vested interest in ensuring good health for everyone, starting from birth.
Hobbies, Interests, and Talents
I like to think I am very versatile in terms of what I like to do and try. I always want to try new things, and am usually pretty quick to catch on. Because of that, I have a really varied set of skills and interests such as…
- Singing/ Karaoke/ embarrassing my family at the grocery store
- Dancing/ dancing badly on purpose/ see above
- Baking, especially cookies, but recently cakes. All from scratch. No cheating!
- Photography/ seeing the world in the best light, but not being able to capture it
- Soccer/ getting in people’s way (I play defense!)
- Volunteering (I don’t know if this counts as a hobby, but I do it a lot and enjoy it!)
- Making random crafts/drawings
- Puzzles/ Puzzle games
- Learning/ Researching science-y things!
And some very random talents such as…
- I can lick my elbow. But only the right one. That left one always eludes me…
- Making bad jokes/puns. But I mean really, the worse they are, the funnier it is!
- Playing guitar + singing. Strummed, not stirred.
- Figuring things out after already doing them the hard way… (e.g. I entered the codes to change font colours and then found the toolbar button…)
- Juggling! But only 2…more than that, you must be a wizard or something
- The Human Doughnut. My term for being able to roll myself into a ball…it looks weird. You don’t want to see it. Trust me.
- I can burp the alphabet. I don’t. But I can.
Fun Facts! …Besides random talents
- I was on a rowing team once! I was the coxie…yelling at people is not my thing
- I have 3 siblings: 2 biological (older brother, younger sister) and 1 adopted (older brother)
- My favourite colour is blue (not that blue, but close!)
- I LOVE to travel! I mean, who doesn’t?
- I’m really into sci-fi!
- I’ve never blogged before! Thank you for being my guinea pigs! 😉